Friday, September 21, 2012

One Happy Thing: Avocado Toast with Sea Salt

Sliced avocado on buttered toast is better than it has any right to be. There's some kind of alchemy going on with the combination of these simple ingredients. A pinch or two of Maldon sea salt puts it over the top.

A few tips: Make sure your avocado is perfectly ripe. Crunchy or otherwise underripe avocados just won't do. It needs to be so creamy that you can practically spread it with a butter knife. The toast should be made from good bread, though I suspect this would still be swoon-inducing even on Wonder Bread. My favorite is homemade sourdough with a touch of wheat. You can butter the toast or drizzle it (and the avocado) with olive oil; I am constantly changing my allegiances between the two. If there is no sea salt on hand, a pinch of kosher is a fine substitute.

If you've never tried avocado toast, please do so immediately. You can thank me later.

2 comments:

  1. why and how is avo toast so darned tasty?! love your description of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely yummy! I can taste this delicious concoction just from your description!

    ReplyDelete